Documents are the lifeblood of a corporate legal department. In-house counsel spend hours tediously assembling, proofreading, styling, and reviewing documents, only to have to spend more hours comparing versions and correcting formatting inconsistencies before sharing the results. These are hours that could be better spent thinking strategically about issues that are more valuable to the business—but document errors can have serious consequences, so the work must be done.
Still, who says lawyers must painstakingly complete all those endless document tasks manually? Litera has developed best-of-breed software solutions to solve the challenges of legal drafting. And now, we’ve combined them into one convenient corporate bundle.
The Challenges Corporate Legal Departments Face with Documents
When in-house counsel need to create documents, they rarely start from scratch. Instead, they first attempt to identify their best examples of previous work, updating the specific details in those precedents to reflect the current circumstances. They must then format and style the assembled document so that all lists and sections are correctly numbered, and the overall document uses the accepted corporate format.
Once the lawyer has created a draft, they must proofread it and correct any errors introduced along the way. But it’s not enough for one person to review a legal document; often, half a dozen or more authors and reviewers will be involved. The reviewing lawyer must weigh all their changes, suggestions, and comments to create and share a final version—hopefully without any embarrassing mistakes or revealing metadata.
The problems with this approach are significant. First, the entire process is overwhelmingly tedious, mind-numbing, and demanding. Worse, it leads to lawyers working substantially below their capabilities on tasks that aren’t enjoyable. And the result is rarely perfect.
Errors are inevitable when law departments do not rely on technology to identify issues within complex, lengthy legal documents. Most errors that slip through are minor, but occasionally incorrect details like dates, names, and dollar amounts are carried forward from a previous version, embarrassing the lawyers involved or potentially endangering the document’s substance. That leads to the worst consequence: a pervasive sense of dread around legal documents, as lawyers can never have confidence that they’ve reviewed a document enough to catch everything.
At Litera, those challenges are what inspire us to create solutions.
How Litera Technology Provides Value in Solving Document Challenges
We’ve spent years developing best-of-breed drafting solutions that make the document drafting process effortless. Litera technology empowers legal professionals to deliver perfect documents, while mitigating human risk by:
- Quickly accessing the legal department’s content library to surface the best examples of previously used and approved language
- Automatically recognizing and anonymizing sensitive details to avoid the embarrassment and risk of carrying forward incorrect information
- Thoroughly proofreading documents and displaying potential issues in a color-coded list that allows rapid triage of any errors or inconsistencies
- Instantly repairing formatting and numbering errors and applying corporate styles in a single click
- Accurately comparing document versions and redlining changes
- Safely stripping risky metadata to share clean documents with our metadata scrubber
- Quickly creating seamless PDF workflows that allow editing and redaction
We’re combining those technologies in a single bundle for our corporate clients.
The Litera Drafting Bundle for Corporates
The Litera corporate bundle includes our top five corporate drafting tools that empower legal teams to:
- Surface document issues and quickly correct them
- Apply document styles for consistency
- Compare any two docuemtns in seconds with our legal document comparison software
- Clean documents of risky metadata before sharing
- Edit PDFs and redact them for safe publishing
Are you ready to streamline and simplify your document drafting processes? Ready to create better legal documents in less time, with fewer errors, and with dramatically less stress?